Carrick-on-Suir/Ormond Castle, Co. Tipperary

Carrick-on-Suir or Ormond Castle, County Tipperary, in June 1986.
A castle dating from 1328, subsequently much modified. Originally, it consisted of a bawn, a watergate onto the River Suir, a hall and other associated buildings.
By the mid fifteenth century two towers were added (Con Manning dates the south tower to the thirteenth century) and in 1568 one of the most important examples of an Irish unfortified Elizabethan manor house was built behind them.
As an Irish National Monument the Manor House has been restored to a high standard by the Office of Public Works and recently rerendered for which they are to be commended.
In comparison the towers appear to be strangely neglected and information on them scarce.
Sadly, in common with so many National Monuments in Ireland, access is not always easy, as it is closed during the winter months, nowadays.
This was never a problem in the past when most such monuments had a nominated caretaker, who would provide a key or act as a guide.